Is Christmas about following traditions, enjoying the comfort of the same food and activities each year, and doing your utmost to create that classic Christmas card-style atmosphere? Or does the big day need a shake-up to stay fresh and fun every year? We look at both sides of the argument, and debate what’s best – a traditional or innovative approach to Christmas Day.
In favour of a novelty Christmas
1. It’s easy for the pressure to build to disproportionate levels when you’re constantly comparing your festive preparations to those of your mum, friend or that woman on TV telling you that a dry turkey is the end of the world. If you opt for a slightly sillier approach to Christmas, you side-step these comparisons and free yourself up to a lot more fun.
2. If you’re seeing friends or family members that you haven’t seen for donkeys’, fancy dress costumes provide the perfect way to break the ice. Who wouldn’t be able to think of something to say when they’ve voluntarily dressed up as Santa and you’re sporting an elf costume?
3. Fancy dress takes the pressure off to out-do last year’s party dress with an even more dazzling – and potentially expensive – option. Also, taking the novelty approach allows you to wear things you normally never could, so why not enjoy those Christmas tree jumpers and false white beards while you can?
4. Agree to buy your friends and family jokey gifts to save yourself a fortune while putting a smile on their faces. I mean, who wouldn’t love a pair of Take Me Out knickers featuring the festive slogan “Let the plum see the pudding”? Exactly.
In favour of a traditional Christmas
1. It doesn’t matter that you hate sprouts, you’re going to eat them on Christmas Day. Why? Because it’s traditional. Upholding traditions is important because they make us feel united with our friends, family and all the other people out there choking down revolting vegetables in the name of Christmas.
2. If you stick to the tried and tested Christmas Day routine you don’t have to worry about what to do with your day – you can just relax and enjoy the familiarity of it all.
3. Keeping up a Christmas tradition is a tribute to past generations of your family.
4. A classic Christmas Day outfit will see you looking amazing and sophisticated – perfect if you want to look your best for that festive family reunion. Think understated sparkle rather than brash bells and baubles for maximum glamour.
What do you think? Which side are you on?
However you celebrate Christmas, we hope you have a fantastic day.